A friend and I recently met at a local chain, Fadi’s Mediterranean, and I fell IN LOVE with their ChickPea & Avocado salad.
I discovered Fadi’s years ago. I needed a quick lunch and was curious about Mediterranean food. When I walked in, my mouth hit the floor…several feet of beautifully colored salads, meats & pickles lay before me. I’ve never seen anything so vibrant, fresh and beautiful. For years, I had to drive almost and hour to get to them; but, thankfully, they have several more locations now and one is close to me!
This ChickPea & Avocado summer salad is a homage to the restaurant that turned my palate onto a variety of flavors that have changed the way I looked at food forever.
*You will find the need for sumac in this recipe. It sounds strange and exotic but trust me, this is a spice that will soon become a favorite. Often used in Middle Eastern & Mediterranean cuisine, these deep berries are ground into a coarse powder. It has a tangy, lemony flavor and balances dishes with a zest you cannot find in other spices.
phrase and add info on giveaway…
ChickPea & Avocado Summer Salad
- 1 Whole Avocado Mashed
- 1/2 Onion Diced
- Salt To taste
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper To desired heat preference
- 1 Can ChickPeas Organic
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper Finely Diced
- 1 handful Cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 Lemon (or Lime) Fresh
- Sumac To Taste
- Place avocado in a bowl and mash with the back end of a fork. Open can of ChickPeas and strain- setting aside until step 3.
- Add diced onions, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Dry Mustard and Crushed red pepper.
- Add well-strained ChickPeas, diced bell pepper & cilantro. Squeeze Lemon and stir.
- Top with sumac and stir though. Can be eaten immediately or refrigerated to be enjoyed at a later time.
- NOTE: I usually enjoy this salad within a day of two of it being made. Avocados tend to ripen quickly when exposed to air.