Farm Fresh Strawberry Beet Salad
This Strawberry Beet uses the season's bounty in the most unique way. Fresh, delicious with an earthly sweetness. Like all of my recipes, this salad can be customized to your preference! Perfect as a side dish or main, the possibilities are endless.
- 3 fresh Beets Tops Removed, Scrubbed Clean, Cut top and bottom
- 3 Sprigs Thyme (Any herb will do. I prefer rosemary and/ or thyme for roasting.)
- 1 TBSP Grapeseed Oil
- 1 whole Orange (Any citrus will do. I have enjoyed with Lemon and Grapefruit.)
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries
- 1 TBSP Honey Local
- 1/2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Fresh Mint Or, more to taste.
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta -OR- Goat Cheese (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Toasted nuts
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
With scissors, remove beet tops. Use or Store in airtight bag for later use.
Scrub dirt off beets and chop the top and the bottom to create a flat surface on each side.
Place beets in a glass dish with a piece of foil at the bottom. Be sure the foil is long enough to 'tent' beets prior to entering the oven.
Drizzle oil over the top, add whole sprigs of Thyme or Rosemary and loosely tent the foil over the top of the dish.
Roast for 1 hour making sure a knife can be easily inserted for doneness.
Immediately squeeze fresh juice over hot beets and allow to cool.
Assembling the Salad
When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and slice into bite sized pieces. Place into a large bowl.
Pour remaining citrus juice, chop roasted herbs and add Honey & Vinegar. Stir together, adding more honey if desired.
Finish with chopped mint and chill to allow flavors to meld.
Prior to serving, add any optional add-ins.